I don’t normally post recipes because, well, I’m not a particularly great cook. But this is my go-to for a quick (vegan) meal. It has a great flavour and it’s really, really easy (and healthy).
I found the original recipe here but I thought the flavours were a bit anaemic, so I changed it around a bit. Here’s my version of the recipe:
Serves 2 – 3 people
Time: 20 – 30 minutes, depending on how distractible you are
- 14-ounce / 400g package firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium red pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder (choose heat to match your taste!)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 3 tablespoons water
- 4-6 tortillas, warmed
- Fresh salsa
- Remove the tofu from its package and set down on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Cover in another layer of paper towels and press and blot well to remove as much moisture as you can (this will help the tofu absorb the flavours).
- Place in a bowl and mash well with a fork. You’re looking for a crumbly consistency.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion then, a minute later, red pepper and cook until soft, about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the coriander, cumin, chilli powder and salt and cook until just incorporated and fragrant, 1 minute or so.
- Stir in the mashed tofu and the turmeric along with the 3 tablespoons water, and cook until the mixture is warmed completely through. 2 minutes should do it.
- Warm your tortillas then scoop in a generous portion of the scrambled tofu and garnish with fresh salsa, or, you know, whatever other weird stuff you like.
You could make the fresh salsa yourself, of course, but I just buy it, because I’m like that.